Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Enjoying the season of winter

As the months have passed, it has gotten nice and cold and winter has settled in. I'm taking in the sun as much as I can for as short of a time as it is out. However, along with winter come all the wonderful activities outside that are right out our back door.

Iceskating has become the popular activity for us this year. I'm amazed at how fast my children are all getting and how hard I have to work to keep up! It is such an awesome feeling to be out on the ice, that in less than 5 months will be a body of water. This year we have had the opportunity to skate on the lake, and out further than last year. As great of a feeling it is to be out on the ice, I can't help but wonder if I would find that one crack that just didn't freeze up all the way. But knowing that is foolishness, we tread on and head out into the vast open ice to enjoy the beauty and fun of skating.

The kids skating on the bay.


Skating on the lake, with a great sunset backdrop.


This was a time when I got to skate across the lake, a long trek.

Last spring Carlon bought the kids and I a pair of cross country skis, so we were very anxious to get snow this winter and break them in. We have had ample opportunity to use them this year and it has been so much fun. The other day, I was able to ski to pick the kids up from school, and ski home with them. It took us a lot longer, due to the tempting hills to play on and ski down, but was completely worth it.

Skiing home from school.


Having fun on skis.


As cold, dark and hard as winter can be, I feel so privileged to be in a place where so much awaits for me to do. All I have to do is take that first step out the door and I can have a variety of adventures. I feel truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment